Thursday, February 6, 2014

PAGE 40

THE DREAM IS - WHICH?

I am laughing by the brook with her,
Splashed in its tumbling stir;
And then it is a blankness looms
As if I walked not there,
Nor she, but found me in haggard rooms,
And treading a lonely stair.

With radiant cheeks and rapid eyes
We sit where none espies;
Till a harsh change comes edging in
As no such scene were there,
But winter, and I were bent and thin,
And cinder-grey my hair.

We dance in heys around the hall,
Weightless as thistleball;
And then a curtain drops between,
As if I danced not there,
But wandered through a mounded green
To find her, I knew where.

-o0o-

THE WHITEWASHED WALL

Why does she turn in that shy soft way
Whenever she stirs the fire,
And kiss to the chimney-corner wall,
As if entranced to admire
Its whitewashed bareness more than the sight
Of a rose in richest green?
I have known her long, but this raptured rite
I never before have seen.

Well, once when her son cast his shadow there,
A friend took a pencil and drew him
Upon that flame-lit wall. And the lines
Had a lifelike semblance to him.
And there long stayed his familiar look;
But one day, ere she knew,
The whitener came to cleanse the nook,
And covered the face from view.

"Yes," he said: "My brush goes on with a rush,
And the draught is buried under;
When you have to whiten old cots and brighten,
What else can you do, I wonder?"
But she knows he's there. And when she yearns
For him, deep in the labouring night,
She sees him as close as hand, and turns
To him under his sheet of white.

-o0o-

AMABEL

I marked her ruined hues,
Her custom-straitened views,
And asked, "Can there indwell
My Amabel?"

I looked upon her gown,
Once rose, now earthen brown;
The change was like the knell
Of Amabel.

Her step's mechanic ways
Had lost the life of May's;
Her laugh, once sweet in swell,
Spoilt Amabel.

I mused: "Who sings the strain
I sang ere warmth did wane?
Who thinks its numbers spell
His Amabel?"

Knowing that, though Love cease,
Love's race shows undecrease;
All find in dorp or dell
An Amabel.

I felt that I could creep
To some housetop and weep,
That Time the tyrant fell
Ruled Amabel!

I said (the while I sighed
That love like ours had died)
"Fond things I'll no more tell
To Amabel.

"But leave her to her fate,
And fling across the gate,
Till the Last Trump, farewell,
O Amabel!"

-o0o-

More poetry next Thursday

The new blog THE POETRY PATH will be updated tomorrow
http://thepoetrypath.blogspot.com

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-





No comments:

Post a Comment