Thursday, November 21, 2013

PAGE 31

THE INTERLOPER

There are three folk driving in a quaint old chaise,
And the cliff-side track looks green and fair;
I view them talking in quiet glee
As they drop down towards the puffins' lair
    By the roughest of ways;
But another with the three rides on, I see,
    Whom I like not to be there!

No: it's not anybody you think of. Next
A dwelling appears by a slow sweet stream
Where two sit happily and half in the dark:
They read, helped out by a frail-wick'd gleam,
    Some rhythmic text;
But one sits with them whom they don't mark,
    One I'm wishing could not be there.

No: not whom you knew and name. And now
I discern gay diners in a mansion-place,
And the guests dropping wit - pert, prim, or choice,
And the hostess's tender and laughing face,
    And the host's bland brow;
But I cannot help hearing a hollow voice,
    And I'd fain not hear it there.

No: it's not from the stranger you once met. Ah,
Yet a goodlier scene than that succeeds;
People on a lawn - quite a crowd of them. Yes,
And they chatter and ramble as fancy leads;
    And they say, "Hurrah!"
To a blithe speech made; save one, mirthless,
    Who ought not to be there.

Nay: it's not the pale Form your imagings raise,
That waits on us all at a destined time,
It is not the Fourth Figure the Furnace showed;
O that it were such a shape sublime
    In these latter days!
It is that under which best lives corrode;
    Would, would it could not be there!

-o0o-

LOGS ON THE HEARTH
In Memory of a Sister

 The fire advances along the log
Of the tree we felled,
Which bloomed and bore striped apples by the peck
Till its last hour of bearing knelled.

The fork that first my hand would reach
And then my foot
In climbings upward inch by inch, lies now
Sawn, sapless, darkening with soot.

Where the bark chars is where, one year,
It was pruned, and bled -
Then overgrew the wound. But now, at last,
Its growings all have stagnated.

My fellow-climber rises dim
From her chilly grave -
Just as she was, her foot near mine on the bending limb,
Laughing, her young brown hand awave.

-o0o-

A JANUARY NIGHT
(1879)

The rain smites more and more,
The east wind snarls and sneezes;
Through the joints of the quivering door
   The water wheezes.

The tip of each ivy-shoot
Writhes on its neighbour's face;
There is some hid dread afoot
   That we cannot trace.

Is it the spirit astray
Of the man at the house below
Whose coffin they took in today?
   We do not know.

-o0o-

THE DARK-EYED GENTLEMAN

I pitched my day’s leazings in Crimmercrock Lane,   
To tie up my garter and jog on again,   
When a dear dark-eyed gentleman passed there and said,   
In a way that made all o’ me colour rose-red,   
                “What do I see -          
                O pretty knee!”   
And he came and he tied up my garter for me.   

’Twixt sunset and moonrise it was, I can mind:   
Ah, ’tis easy to lose what we nevermore find! -   
Of the dear stranger’s home, of his name, I knew nought,           
But I soon knew his nature and all that it brought.   
                Then bitterly   
                Sobbed I that he   
Should ever have tied up my garter for me!   

Yet now I’ve beside me a fine lissom lad,           
And my slip’s nigh forgot, and my days are not sad;   
My own dearest joy is he, comrade, and friend,   
He it is who safe-guards me, on him I depend;   
                No sorrow brings he,   
                And thankful I be           
That his daddy once tied up my garter for me!   

-o0o-

MORE POETRY BY THOMAS HARDY NEXT THURSDAY

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-


No comments:

Post a Comment