Thursday, November 28, 2013

PAGE 32

WHO'S IN THE NEXT ROOM?

"Who's in the next room? - who?
I seem to see
Somebody in the dawning passing through,
Unknown to me."
"Nay: you saw nought. He passed invisibly."

"Who's in the next room? - who?
I seem to hear
Somebody muttering firm in a language new
That chills my ear."
"No: you catch not his tongue who has entered there."

"Who's in the next room? - who?
I seem to feel
His breath like a clammy draught, as if it drew
From the Polar Wheel."
"No: none who breathes at all does the door conceal."

"Who's in the next room? - who?
A figure wan
With a message to one in there of something due?
Shall I know him anon?"
"Yea he; and he brought such; and you'll know him anon."

-o0o-

I SOMETIMES THINK
(For F. E. H)

I sometimes think as here I sit
Of things I have done,
Which seemed in doing not unfit
To face the sun;
Yet never a soul has paused a whit
On such - not one.

There was that eager strenuous press
To sow good seed;
There was that saving from distress
In the nick of need;
There were those words in the wilderness
Who cared to heed?

Yet can this be full true, or no?
For one did care,
And, spiriting into my house, to, fro,
Like wind on the stair,
Cares still, heeds all, and will, even though
I may despair.

-o0o-

THE FARM-WOMAN'S WINTER

If seasons all were summers,
And leaves would never fall,
And hopping casement-comers
Were foodless not at all,
And fragile folk might be here
That white winds bid depart;
Then one I used to see here
Would warm my wasted heart!

One frail, who, bravely tilling
Long hours in gripping gusts,
Was mastered by their chilling,
And now his ploughshare rusts,
So savage winter catches
The breath of limber things,
And what I love he snatches,
And what I love not, brings.

-o0o-


No comments:

Post a Comment